Measuring Site Performance with Tideways
Tideways is a service to collect and analyze information about how the code of your WordPress site performs. It helps developers to:
- Visualize changes in the site production code performance over time
- Drill down into execution logs and find bottle necks in PHP code
- Analyze database queries so their performance can be optimized
- Alert about PHP errors and analyze stack traces so the code can be improved to avoid the errors
- E-mail, Slack, Github and other integrations
Tideways is a commercial tool, but you can use it for free for 30 days. Here's how to activate it on your site:
- Create an account at Tideways. You can start with a free trial and later upgrade to a paid account.
- In the Tideways dashboard, create a new application and get the application API key (e.g. A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0).
- Create a file
/data/wordpress/.tideways.keyin your project and save the application API key in it (e.g. echo 'A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0' > .tideways.key).
- In your production site environment, run
wp-restart-phpto active the PHP module and the Tideways daemon with your Tideways key.
- Double check that you are running PHP 7.2 or newer.
- Go back to your Tideways dashboard to see the data start pouring in!
For more information, see our longer artice about Tideways.
And read our case blog article how we used Tideways to solve a customer's problem.